The word “peperoni” is the Italian word for peppers. However, “pepperoni ” stands for a delicious and highly spicy pork and beef sausage, which is a definite delicacy when included in the toppings of grilled pepperoni pizzas, a variety of pizzas popular with lovers of spicier pizzas with meat toppings. Bearing in mind the meaning of the word, those who order a pepperoni pizza in Italy will receive a pizza with peppers as topping, and elsewhere they will enjoy the sausage topped pizza with scrumptious spiciness. Pepperoni aficionados who would like to enjoy the spicy sausage in Italy should be aware that in that country the sausage variety is called “pizza alla diavola”.
The reason why pepperoni sausages are such favorites with pizza lovers is that they are so attractively seasoned with red and black pepper, and although they are slender, their taste is strong and mouth watering. Often used in thin slices as appetizers, pepperoni sausages have their rightful place in the field of pizza preparation.
Besides the great taste, pepperoni attracts with its bright red color. Furthermore, unlike its predecessors, southern Italian sausages, it is smoked and features finer grain. The distinct bright color is due to the curing sodium nitrite and to the paprika contained in pepperoni sausages. Pepperoni sausages contain raw, uncooked meat, which is preserved by means of drying and the above mentioned sodium nitrite as preservative. It is especially important for all pepperoni buffs to know that there is no artificial coloring in this popular sausage.
Those who have the pleasure to visit Italy and order pizza alla diavola as a true Italian specialty should be prepared for large salami slices covering the pizza surface, and Italian spicy salamis can be much hotter than typical pepperoni sausages. Overall, Italian pizza alla diavola are also truly delicious, with their meaty, spicy taste.
Diet varieties of pepperoni pizzas can also be prepared, especially at home. Pepperoni pizza can be prepared with kosher pepperoni, in which beef or poultry is used as a healthier ingredient.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 6 minutes
- Frozen pizza crust, well thawed
- Grated mozzarella – one to one and a half cups
- Pepperoni slices – one cup
- Tomato sauce – one cup
- Minced garlic clove
- Oregano – 1/4 teaspoon
- Basil – 1/4 teaspoon
- Divide the dough in half and put each half onto a floured surface. Grill the two pizza crusts on a hot grill for one to two minutes until they become brown. Then remove the crusts from the grill. If you want your pizza to have a classic italian taste, use a pizza oven instead of the girl – click here to check great options.
- Add the minced garlic, the oregano and the basil to the tomato sauce.
- Spread the tomato sauce mixture, then put the pepperoni slices, arranging them carefully to achieve an attractive pattern.
- Finally add the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Return the pizzas to the grill or oven. Close it and cook for two to four minutes, until the pizza crust bottom becomes brown and the cheese melts. Now the pizzas are ready to serve.